Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Horses and Kayaks - Day 5

"Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life."
--Michael Palin

Although we have both been bit by the travel bug, I must be especially sweet because I have also been bitten by a boatload of mosquitoes.  I thought when it was raining last night I wouldn't have to worry about bug spray --- WRONG!!  I have about 20 bites on my lower legs and feet from walking in the grass last night in flip flops and capris, and the bites itch!!!!  My legs are polka dotted now. 

Oh well... In other news...

We were less than 1 hour late picking Mary up for breakfast. #goals  We had gotten back on schedule by lunch, but we behind again when we were almost an hour later going to ride than originally planned.  We decided we didn't plan enough sleeping time into this trip, and getting up in the morning has been difficult.  I guess we just need to plan more coffee stops into our travels.

Trip Totals:
Walmart Trips Made: 6
McDonald's Diet Cokes Drank: 5
Horse Trailers Seen: 3
Itinerary Changes Made:3
Times John Made Fun of Lauren's Navigation Abilities: 2 (This is still surprisingly low, but our hypothesis is that this will increase as we visit areas I'm not familiar with.)

We spent our time in PA eating, kayaking and going to the barn.  Of course we had to go to Breakfast at Tiffany's, which is our favorite place to eat, and get pancakes.  We will be stopping again next week on our way back through.





 
We had fun on the lake with Terri learning how to paddle board and kayak.

Paddle boarding is harder than it looks, and John was much better at it than me.


I didn't fall off, but I did crash land between a couple of boat docks once when I forgot how to turn.
We might be getting kayaks when we get to California.

We were both a little rusty and our tack was a little dusty, but Banjo and I went for a ride today :)

It's been 1 & 1/2 years since Banjo has been ridden with any consistency but he was fabulous when I pulled him out of the stall and climbed on with a fat snaffle and no spurs.  We only lasted for about 15 minutes though because we're both really out of shape.  Hopefully horse shows will be back in the cards in the next 6-8 months.
It wouldn't be a trip to PA without checking on the progress for my mom's new house.  Hopefully by the time we come back it will be finished.
We capped off the night with more smores and fireworks.  This time I remembered to use bug spray so my arms don't match my legs.

Tomorrow morning we start bright and early as we head off to D.C.